Mr Black Forest draws inspiration from the flavours of a Black Forest gâteau. It's a boozy rich curtain-raiser that entertains your childhood memories of eating cake and will leave your senses pondering with nostalgia.
STRAWBERRY & BALSAMIC VINEGAR SHRUB
1. Combine 2 cups of diced strawberry with 1 cup of super fine caster sugar in a container and mix well to incorporate, leave at room temperature over night.
2. The next day, stir the strawberries to make sure the sugar has dissolved completely.
3. Strain through a muslin cloth, making sure no seeds get through into the shrub.
4. Slowly add 1 cup apple cider vinegar (with the mother) and 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar, tasting as you go to find the perfect balance.
5. Pour into a sterilised jar and store in the refrigerator for up to 1 month.
1. Finely chop 200g of your chocolate (we used Lindt Extra Dark, 85% cocoa).
2. Add chocolate to a heatproof bowl on top of a saucepan with a few inches of simmering water. Keep in mind you do not want the water to boil.
3. Heat the melted chocolate to 48 degrees Celsius (118 degrees Fahrenheit).
4. Once at 48 degrees Celsius, pour the chocolate into a dry, pre warmed bowl.
5. Add another 100g of the same finely chopped or grated chocolate into the bowl and stir thoroughly, let sit and allow the molten chocolate to slowly melt the finely chopped or grated chocolate.
6. Continue to stir until the chocolate has reduced to 27 degrees Celsius (80 degrees Fahrenheit).
7. Gently reheat the chocolate over some simmering water until the chocolate reaches 32 degrees Celsius (89 degrees Fahrenheit). The chocolate is now tempered.
8. Evenly spread the chocolate out over some baking paper, roughly 4mm thick and leave to set.
9. Once the chocolate has set, carefully cut into preferred wedge shape.
1. Set a dehydrator to 55 degrees Celsius (131 degrees Fahrenheit).
2. Disperse raspberries evenly onto a tray.
3. Dehydrate berries for 24hrs.
4. Blitz berries in a NutriBullet until preferred consistency is reached.
1. Add 2 large blackberries to a shaker and muddle.
2. Add Mr Black Cold Brew Coffee Liqueur, Plantation Original Dark Rum and Strawberry Balsamic Shrub.
3. Add ice cubes and shake.
4. Double strain into a chilled Nick & Nora glass.
5. Garnish with tempered chocolate wedge, coated in dehydrated raspberries. Serve.
MR BLACK FOREST is a transformative experience, the drink is best enjoyed by taking a nibble of the chocolate, followed by a sip of the drink. You'll quickly find yourself on a journey to nostalgia town, just a little more boozy than your childhood.